Sunday 2 February 2014

Recycled re-usable kitchen towel -tutorial

In my kitchen I use towels made of fabric. They last forever and are easily re-usable. I ended up this choise over ten years ago because I noticed I always ran out kitchen towels and how much waste it makes. Using re-usable kitchen towels is one way to save the planet. When you make them from the right material they last forever and you desire new ones only because the old ones look so ugly and messy at the end.

I make the towels from old things like bath towels or robes. The point is to use material with good and fast absorbency. My material is always 100% cotton or linen because then the towels can be washed in hot temperatures (60-90 Celcius degrees). When the material is old it is thinner which is just good in use. Thinner towel gets dry faster so the level of bacterias are minimized so they don't smell and the hygine level is high. I always have more than one re-usable kitchen towel (one in use, few in the cupboard waiting for the use and dirty ones in the laundry basket waiting for washing).

This time I used old bath robe. The pattern is my own design which I use making pot holders. The size is excellent -not too small, not too big.

Making re-usable kitchen towels is simple, easy and fast. Even beginners can succeed. It is also an excellent gift idea for a friend who cares about the environment but is poor in crafts. This saves also your money because after having these you don't need to buty them again and again from the shop.

Use a pen (I used permanent ink) to draw the figures of the towels on the fabric. Then cut the towels off from the fabric.

 
Use seaming machine to neaten the edges. Don't make folds or hems because they slow down the drying process in use. If you don't have seaming machine you can use sewing machine's zigzag stitch.

Finished recycled re-usable kitchen towels ready for their new career.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...