Friday 5 December 2014

PeePauses & RawWool


It was Gynter who was invited to room service three weeks too late what comes to the schedule. But for him it was not too late. Last time I needed to shear him a bit earlier than 90 days. But this time he has been so well. It is cold season so I let him to grow his wool longer so that we both could have as much as needed. He was groomed daily to make him feel good and stay healthy. There was no need to shear him, I just did it because there was enough for me now.

He has such a pretty wool. And he is so kind, gentle and patient. Each time is easier than the previous one. This time we did it all, up and down, front and behind; even "there" he allowed us to shear him. Well, with those wools we do nothing but it is for his health care. :)

He needed only one PeePause and FunnyJumping in veranda. He is such a tidy boy.

After the shearing and room service he was ready to go back to BunnyHotel.

Then it was Lulu's turn. Neither she or Viola were in the need of shearing. With them it was 1 week later than the scedule date. We could have shear them later on too but decided to do it now to avoid problems with the wool because they play so much with the kits. And the kits jump over them and lay on their back etc. So, it was better just to cut it off for their own best.

Also Lulu is very patient but because of the BabyBunnies she has got also encouraging and understanding. She is perfect nanny!

Lulu's and also Gynter's wool have grown well. 

Viola was the last one I sheared. We have been thinking her growth has suffered because of her accident teenage pregnancy. So it was a great surprise what we noticed.

She is not smaller than Lulu. They both weight 3,1kg! Viola's wool production has suffered but not her normal growth! That was great happy news!

We don't mind if she now produces less wool. We did all to avoid accident and succeed in it for 4 moths but still it happen and is in our responsibility. The most important thing is to take care of her health.

It was really happy to see her diet has been succesfull so that she was able to keep up her growth despite of the pregnancy and feeding the kits. She really looks thin and skinny compaired to the other rabbits but it really is because of her wool. There was not much to shear. She was allowed to keep a lot her wool because we still want her to use most of her energy in growing and get over well this maternity.

I always use scissors to shear the wool and these small child size toe nail clippers. Simply because my hands are too small for the machines. I also have used scissors so much in my life that I feel them more safe. The human toe nail clippers I learnt to use as a teen when I used to have guineapigs. I feel safer when using the toe clippers because the nail can't go too deep in and that helps to avoid accidents. I have never cut too much. I have few size of these toe clippers for different size animal.

I set the scissors to 45 - 90 degree angle to be sure no skin is cut. I neither pull the wool because then the loose skin will rise up and can get caught between the blades.

The wool sheared by scissors or machines look like this. (Plucking the wool from alive rabbit is illegal in Finland.)

We collect all the wool together and much more later on we will send it to the spinnery.


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...