Monday 21 March 2016

The 2016 Reading Challenge


I found Modern Mrs Darcy The 2016 Reading Challenge on December 2015. There's also a printable list of it all.

So here is the list of what I have and will read according to the challenge. I am actually doing this with YougLady and we find it very interesting and fun to do together.

***

A book published this year: It is going to be Finnish author's Milja Kaunisto and her new book Luxus. No translation available; I am sorry for that. She writes historical stories with a bit different aspect. I've read all her previous books. I do am a fan of her work.

A book you can finish in a day: It is a cartoon! It's been years since I read a comic book, a cartoon. I was at the library and my eyes found this one. I realized I really should try it out. It's been too long since the last time. I enjoyed and read it several times. It is Bill Stott's The Crazy World of Cats and made me to understand I am not the only one who wonders what on earth cats are doing... Old book, published already on 1989. Found it at Kemi City Library.

A book you've been meaning to read: It is a book I supposed and wanted to read last year! Finally Santa Claus brought it for me! It is a book from Finnish author Kaari Utrio called Paperiprinssi. No translation available. Utrio writes historical stories. She has written since 1968. I have read many of her books and they teach so many things about history from female aspect. This book Paperiprinssi also tells about paper factory business on 1830 in Finland.

A book recommended by your local librarian or bookseller: Well, here I didn't follow exactly the rules. I chose a book recommended MyDearFriendL. who has very wide knowledge about books and everything connected. She has some kind of addiction or obsession to them; like I have to crafts. So, that's why I am going to read Mia Kankimäki's book Asioita jotka saavat sydämen lyömään nopeammin. I have no idea who she is. Never heard about her. And never read her stories. Need to find out. She is Finnish author but I just googled it and found out the book is available also in Italian. It is going to be like an adventure when I will pick up this book.

A book you should have read in school: In Finnish school we have this book evaluation challenge connected to Finnish lessons. It supposed to introduce literature and support children to read. I was already then passionate reader. There's a list of books from which you should pick up certain amount of books to read and write an evaluation. I ever left only one book unread. It was Frances Hodgson Brunett and The Secret Garden. I didn't read it because my friend said it is so sad. Now YoungLady read it and said it is a wonderful book. She said it is not sad at all. She really loved is so I am going to read it too; eventually.

A book chosen for you by your spouse, partner, sibling, child, or BFF: It is chosen  by -of course- YoungLady. It is Erin Hunter's A Dangerous Path; a book of Warrior Cats. The begin of this book was very difficult because I think being over 14 creates some walls and edges. Especially when you jump in the middle of long saga from the adult space. But when I got used to it and all the clans and cats -which happened after 150 pages- I started to enjoy the reading and it wasn't anymore just something I need to do. I really want to thank Erin Hunter of encouraging YoungLady to read in English at so young age. She was not older than just 12 years when she just had to get these books; no matter they were in English. All the books are not translated in Finnish and YoungLady is a bit addicted to them. Good job! But again, like with the cartoon I read; I do recommend adults to pick up children books too! It makes really good!

A book published before you were born: Persian Fairy Tales by Jaroslav Tichy (illustrated by Ludek Manasek) was published in Finnish before my birth. It is -again- considered as children book. But at the end; what does it matter. I remember being young school girl and our teacher reading us Arabian Nights. Since that I have read many folk stories but not anything back to Persia or areas around. At first I considered picking up some legendary novel for this. But then I wanted to read something even older. Something published before my birth but born perhaps hundreds of years before my time. Folk stories are good choice for that! Viking sagas would be good alternative too; but they are more familiar to me than Persian Fairy Tales. Reading should amuse but also educate.

A book that was banned at some point: Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain. It was surprising to notice that this book has been banned. The reason is that it has TheN -word in it. After childhood, reading again books by Mark Twain I must confess I doubt if the reason to ban this book because of its N -word has only been an excuse. Mark Twain express the time and its habits and people's ideology quite honest and frank. I wonder if the real reason to ban his books -any- is the will to hide how awful people have behaved and accepted slavery and considering AfroAmericans as something lower than they experience themselves to be. But still, also this book, is very educative and brings you your childhood memories. Just don't stare and focus on TheN -word. Read it and learn how the word was then and have we really came that far...

A book you previously abandoned: I started A Fort of Nine Towers on 2014 when it was published in Finnish. It is written by Qais Akbar Omar and it is very interesting true story. By then I had no time to concentrate on it with the passion I wanted. At the end I had to drop it out and write it up on a list about the books I want to read and to be able to continue it later on with better time. On 2015 I found it on sale. Previously I tried to read library copy of it. So I bought it on sale and brought home. It was the 1st book I read in this challenge. And I recommend it to anyone to read. It tells more than just a family story.

A book you own but have never read: Out of Africa by Karen Blixen.

A book that intimidates you: Surprisingly I am again out of my habits of reading. Colin Meloy and his book Wildwood is one I have been watching at book shop to buy for YoungLady. Still have not done that. But I was going on the road again. MyDearFriendL. always talks about audio books she listens to when driving. She keeps on nagging about them; how great this an that is and how awful one reader had been and so on. Obviously all her nagging had lead to the point that last time when I was at the library I picked up an audio book. Only interesting available was Wildwood. I picked it up and it really was a great thing to do! I am in the middle of it at the moment. Since I was 10 I have not been listening to audio books. Of course kids have but not me. I am so scary with my imagination and books. This is far enough for me. After the start of the book I have started to understand a bit better my friend who is afraid of birds which I never before have been considered dangerous. Since I started this book I still daily see flock of birds but never before have started to leer around with trepidation when meeting them.

A book you've already read at least once: On 1986 was published Pilvissä taivaan laiva by Finnish author Laila Hietamies who is the same person as Laila Hirvisaari. It tells abut the life in Finnish Karelia region on 1910. From her books I have learnt a lot about our close history; many different things than boys learn in war & action books. I used to read a lot of her wide production but not much during the past 15 years. I used to enjoy a lot about her fictional stories which could be so true. It is time to step back and pick up one.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...